The interior is a classic example of a nonconformist meeting house of the period. The central open space is dominated by a fine two-tiered pulpit and surrounded on three sides by galleries containing the original box pews.
The Meeting House was built in 1711 for its Presbyterian congregation, and is a fine example of the English Baroque style in its softer, more provincial manner. Fully restored between 1975 and 1991, the Grade 1 listed building is now one of Bury St Edmunds' most elegant venues.
The facade to Churchgate Street is one of the jewels of the town, with its gauged and rubbed brickwork in two tones of red, and excellent proportions.
This superb building has been serving communities in Bury St Edmunds for over 300 years. It can be of service to you, too!
Such a fine building deserves to be used and appreciated by as wide a range of people as possible. At the same time, income from lettings is the major source of funding to pay for the repairs and maintenance essential to keep such a venerable venue in top condition.
Responsible for these twin aims of hiring and maintaining the building is the Unitarian Meeting House Management Company – a charity with representatives from the Bury Town Trust and Bury Society, and a number of volunteers dedicated to keeping the building safe and well used.
The warm wood floor, good height, and human scale combine to provide a clear and sympathetic sound for a variety of public uses. After all, it was built to ensure commanding solo performances!
The building is owned by Unitarian Trustees. For details of services and other activities run by the Bury St Edmunds Unitarian congregation, visit www.ukunitarians.org.uk/burystedmunds